Today, we’re excited to not only be unveiling a new look website but also a brand new capability, which we believe is set to be a game changer for consumer brands.
For the first time, we’re connecting digital shelf data – what shoppers see and experience as they shop – with Amazon sales data.
Amazon Sales & Share Estimation enables brands to make strategic adjustments to drive their eCommerce sales this holiday season, delivering unprecedented insight into your share of a category on Amazon and how to gain or sustain it.
eCommerce managers, Amazon brand managers, and sales and marketing executives, will all now know the answers to such critical questions as:
- What is the total size of the categories in which I sell products at Amazon?
- How fast are these categories growing over time?
- Am I growing my share in these categories, and by how much?; How does this compare to my competitors’ shares and growth?
- What are third party marketplace sales for my products?
As an example, see how three categories stack up in terms of overall market share concentration on Amazon.com. Within the cold and flu relief category, the top 10 brands are shown to account for 57% share of the category.
Source: Profitero estimates
“Amazon is a critical customer for us in this space. It is imperative we know how to play with them” ~ Kelloggs
As the rate of eCommerce growth has steadily outpaced total retail growth by a multiple of 3-4x, Amazon’s growth has outpaced eCommerce by 1-2x, giving it a dominant lead in many of the world’s most mature eCommerce markets. And as the world’s largest online retailer, Amazon is fast becoming a key account or strategic customer for many global consumer packaged goods (CPG) firms.
For example, global brands such as Kellogg’s are prioritizing working with Amazon, whilst major manufacturers such as Hershey’s estimate Amazon’s share of the confectionery category to be as much as 40%.
By estimating the total size and growth of a category on Amazon, Profitero can now ensure that consumer brands are equipped with the essential insights to not only know their own sales, but also their estimated share of a category (in their own categorization) versus competitors at the product and brand level.
Brands can track how their share changes over time and, with our full suite of eCommerce analytics, what may be causing it. They can monitor what shoppers see and buy online and receive insights and strategic recommendations that pinpoint how to improve their daily performance.
Why is our approach different?
On the surface, similar data is already available from other sources. So what makes Profitero’s different?
- It answers new questions. How big is my category at Amazon? How quickly is it growing? What’s the sales mix of 1P vs. 3P sales? We believe that our new solution offers greater visibility into commercial leaders and account executives’ burning questions.
- It links with digital shelf data. Sales and digital shelf data are better together. Profitero is breaking new ground in offering both data sets as part of a single solution.
- It’s delivered via an interactive analytics app. The Profitero app is always-on and lets you drill-down from high-level executive summary views to product-level detail.
You can’t manage what you can’t measure. Which is why we’re confident that our estimation of market share on Amazon.com will be critical for consumer brands to drive eCommerce performance and higher sales. And ultimately, enabling you to work smarter by helping you to focus on the critical indicators you need to win in the eCommerce channel.